Procedures to get a learner's, probationary and full motorcycle driving license in Hong Kong

Announcing our latest motorcycle license infographic

Kwiksure is proud to announce the release of our latest motorbike license infographic. Curated by our team of experts, this infographic is designed to educate our readers on the steps and requirements for different types of motorcycle licenses, as well as the differences between motorcycles and motor tricycles. This article offers a pared-down view of the key insights shared in the infographic.

Applying for a Learner's Driving License 

No matter whether you’ve applied for this license before, applicants have to be at least 18 years old, complete the application form TD555, and submit it to any licensing office. Depending on your progress, you may also need to take the written test (Part A Test) and the competency test (Part B Test) in order to obtain the learner’s driving license.

Motorcycle Road Test requirements

Similar to automobile drivers, motorcycle drivers are also required to take a road test (Part C Test) appointment either by yourself or through a designated driving school. In the test, several driving techniques will be tested, including but not limited to:

  • Steering straight ahead or at an angle

  • Keeping an appropriate distance from the vehicle ahead

  • Pulling up safely in both normal and emergency situations

  • Stopping and starting the vehicle on a slope

  • Driving the vehicle in the path of a “figure 8” without losing balance

Continue reading: Tips for motorcycle and motor tricycle driving tests in Hong Kong

Applying for a Probationary Driving License

Big congrats to you if you’ve passed all the above-mentioned tests. You’ll then have to obtain a probationary driving license, also known as a P-license, as all drivers in Hong Kong are legally required to undergo a mandatory 12-month probationary driving period. Drivers with a P-license are also confined by other restrictions such as carrying passengers, driving over the speed of 70 km/h, and driving on the offside lane of expressways with 3 or more traffic lanes.

Applying for a Full Driving License

After you’ve passed the probationary driving period, you can apply for a full driving license within 3 years, which is valid for ten years unless the driver is approaching 70 years old, due to their deteriorating driving ability. Click here to learn more about safe driving tips for elderly drivers.

Differences between motor tricycles and motorbikes

Motor tricycles are a common alternative to motorbikes. However, apart from having one more wheel, there are more differences between these two types of vehicles, such as cylinder capacity, helmet, and parking space.

Questions? Feel free to ask our experts

For further information pertaining to automobiles and insurance, feel free to reach out to our teams of specialists. Whether you have a sport bike, scooter, moped, cruiser, or hold a learner license, probationary license or full driving license, Kwiksure's motorcycle insurance protects your vehicle so that no matter what happens, you’ll be back on the road in no time.

Not only can you take advantage of our online quotation system to compare prices of various plans, but you can also learn practical insurance knowledge through the regular release of our blog articles and infographics. Get a free quote today!

The above information is for reference only. Kwiksure takes no responsibility for the accuracy and timeliness of the information. For the coverage, mode of compensation, benefit limit and premium levels of any specific insurance plan, please refer to the relevant policy terms.